Friday, January 9, 2009

William James

The philosopher William James described various options or paths that arise in our lives as being either living or dead, sort of like electrical wires. “A live hypothesis,” he explains, “is one which appeals as a real possibility to him to whom it is proposed.” Dead hypotheses are options that an individual cannot take seriously. To that individual, the option is not capable of being true, or is a path that they could not realistically follow.

I have found myself beginning to incorporate this notion into my everyday thought patterns. It fascinates me. It is so applicable to many of the things I have been pondering over the past year. So as it comes up in many of the things I will probably be talking about on this blog, I figured I should explain it to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment