Thursday, January 8, 2009

Week One

It's only Thursday of the first week of school and I am already all settled in! Normally it takes me much longer during the first week to get everything done that I need to. My schedule is all worked out, and I am quite happy with it.

Here is what I am taking:
-Music 311R- University Chorale (yay for singing)
-Music 135- Basic Conducting
-Religion 327- Pearl of Great Price
-History 388- Indians in Colonial America (because of my academic crush on them)
-English 293- American Literature History (gonna kick my butt)
-English 251- Fundamental Literary Analysis and Criticism (really gonna kick my butt, but be so worth it)

It's only 14 credit hours (normally I take 16 or 17) but I am still going to be pretty busy, especially because I work part time. I am hunting down textbooks online right now and it looks like I am going to be able to get away relatively cheaply, which is always good.

Also, since I work from 9-12:30 in the BYU Library every night, I have been worried about getting enough sleep, but I (barely) managed to work it all out so I will be getting plenty of sleep. It almost ended up that I was going to get 6-7 hours of sleep every night, but now I'll be able to get 7.5-8 every night. I am so happy about that.

I applied for Spring/Summer Term scholarships, which says something.... Gotta keep all the doors open. I have been having a great semester thus far.

And my biggest news: I declared a major!! Who knows if I will stay in it, but I am an official English major, music minor.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plate full! But I am sure you will kick butt and take names! And congrats on the major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on deciding a major, that can really be hard to do. I know that those English classes would kick my butt too, but that History class sounds great! Well take luck with your schedule for the semester and the semester in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tommy. Congratulations on settling things, sounds like a great schedule. Almost identical to how mine was, actually. Major too. I'd love to ask you a few questions and swap a war story or two, shoot me an e-mail if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomitaios...how does one get a crush on Indians and colonists? Thought I'd ask....since I'm a history grunge person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray for English majors! I decided this semester to minor in Women's Studies, and I'm pretty excited for that, though I have no clear idea where exactly I'm going with that route. I've been looking in fortune cookies for an answer, but I haven't gotten a good response yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!

    Zinj- I dont so much have a crush on the colonists, but the Indians yes. I visited a ton of old native american sites when I was younger (mesa verde, newspaper rock, anasazi villages, etc), and in 6th grade went to the first nations museum at a university in British Columbia, and then made a diorama of a native american village in the 7th grade. I've been hooked ever since and always write papers about them and everything when the opportunity allows.

    Chris- Women's Studies? Hahaha that's pretty funny. You'll be one of the only guys I bet. Except I am also rather intrigued by the subject. In fact, whenever I get to choose the topic of a paper I will either try to choose Indians or women. Good luck with the chinsese food!

    ReplyDelete