Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sundance and Time

Sorry I  haven't posted for about a week and a half now. I was doing so well at keeping up with it earlier!

Let's see, what has happened in the past week and a half? A lot.

I went to the Sundance Film Festival not last weekend but the one before that. We saw 2 films: 'Children of Invention' and 'Against the Current.' I really like both of them actually but overall 'Against the Current' was a better film I'd say. My favorite part about it though was that the endings were not predictable or at least not cliche. The whole time I was thinking "oh I can see exactly where this is going," but then they would surprise me! 

Let me explain a little. I wont tell you about Against the Current but Children of Invention is about a very poor Asian American family where the Mom gets caught up in an illegal pyramid scheme and is then arrested. To make a long story short, her kids are pretty young but they are on their own for a while. Somehow I expected it to end with the Mom getting a stable job and the family being happy and able to get by just fine. But the way it actually did end was just with the family being reunited and just being happy to have each other back. No solutions to their financial problems, no end to their stress, but they had each other again. I liked it. I wasn't expecting it to end when it did.

Anyways my point is: Huzzah for things that aren't cliche! (I just read Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Self-Reliance" can you blame me for feeling all independent and non-conformative right now?)

I also saw "Slumdog Millionaire" recently. I had to admit that is was the first Bali-wood movie I have ever seen, even though I do generally like to see myself as fairly cultured. It was really really good and I was on edge quite a bit of the time and my heart wouldn't stop racing. Those of you who were with me know what I mean!

I seem to be at a good equilibrium with the current level of busy-ness in my life. I don't feel incredibly stressed out, but I am balancing school, extracurriculars, work, and a fairly active social like, which are all very time consuming things! It has made me become super organized. I plan out every day and always have a list of tasks to complete, and usually I do really well actually getting most of it done.

I get my homework done earlier now than I ever have before, and I'm not always getting on myself for procrastinating.

My room magically stays clean at the same time too! Don't ask me how- I guess the fates are just all pulling in my favor right now because things in my life are just going really well.



I feel like this was a really scatterbrained post, but at least I got something posted! (My planner just say "Post on Blog," not "Post a really good entry on blog" so I don't feel bad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment